GOAL OF THE SUMMIT
The goal of the World Sustainable Development Summit is to bring together global leaders and thinkers in the fields of sustainable development, energy and environment sectors on a common platform.
HERE ARE SOME FACTS ABOUT THE WORLD SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT SUMMIT-2018
- The theme of the 2018 edition is Partnerships for a Resilient Planet
- It calls to create an action framework to solve some of the most urgent challenges faced by the developing economies in the milieu of climate change
- The summit witnessed discussions on the issues related to sustainable transport, resilient cities, solar energy, carbon markets and pricing, refrigerant technologies etc.
- It also addressed issues like combating air pollution, coming up with measures for energy efficiency, increasing resources, transition to clean energy and also creating financial mechanism to enable effective climate change mitigation
- More than 200 delegates from around the world participated in the summit including the policymakers, think tanks, researchers, diplomats and corporate persons
TERI (THE ENERGY RESOURCES INSTITUTE)
- TERI is a non-profit research institute
- It conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development
- It was established in 1974 as Tata Energy Research Institute and renamed to The Energy Resources Institute in 2003
- WSDS is the flagship forum of TERI which came into existence in 2005
- Previously WSDS was called as Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS)
WHAT IS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT?
Sustainable development is the development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the availability of the resources for the future generation